I am seriously considering making my Marathon return at the Rock n’ Roll New Orleans Marathon next February 24th. While I’m doubtful that will leave me enough time to get into Boston Qualifying shape, there are several reasons why I’m thinking about running this race again in 2013:
- I’m ready to get my first “post-injury” marathon out of the way, so I can stop worrying about the durability of my leg, and focus on taking my running to the next level. Though I’m not terribly superstitious, my next one will be lucky # 13, so it will also be nice to put that one behind me.
- Even though it may not be enough time to get in Boston shape, 4 1/2 months should be plenty of time to be ready to finish RnR NOLA at a reasonable pace.
- The course is pancake flat, and therefore should not put any additional stress on my femur.
- The RnR NOLA race is the site of my current PR (3:12:28), so I’ve already got some good vibes going with that course.
- Our friends Marc and Janna are planning to go down there that weekend to visit their daughter at Tulane, and run the half marathon.
- Olivia and I both love New Orleans, and it would be a fun weekend trip together. She would run the half marathon again, which is also the site of her half marathon PR.
- Since we didn’t get to go to Milwaukee two weeks ago for the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon, we still have two tickets on Southwest Airlines. It just so happens that they have multiple direct flights per day from Nashville to NOLA, and the price is almost identical to our existing tickets.
Well, that’s what I’m thinking at the moment. We’ve already made hotel reservations, but just waiting to pull the trigger on registering for the race and airline tickets. Would be even nicer if I could convince Nathan and his wife to go down there with us.
What do you think?